Sunday, July 10, 2011

One minute video--A Warm Drink (with personal replection)




When I started to create this video, a lot of ideas came to my mind at the same time. I was struggling for how I could take advantage of one minute to include a meaningful story as much as possible and make an argument well. From my point of view, the best way for a storytelling is to narrate something that is concerned with our own experience. Therefore, this video should not only be a demonstration to show a comfortable place but a story or a personal experience behind it. As my favourite warm drink is hot tea, which also represents Chinese food culture, it is natural for me to relate it to my hometown, a neat southern city where the tea culture is rich and pervasive. Thus, my preferred answer to this topic “The best place for a warm drink…” is anywhere in my hometown with my family, in which there are beautiful sceneries, yummy food and nice people. Furthermore, the most important thing is that my family is still there, drinking tea reminds me of the hometown and the whole family.

It is the first time for me to use windows movie maker to create a complete product. I actually tried a similar software before, but just for a trial not a product. It is not hard to handle it. The key issue is how to edit the video, making the content coherent and interesting, having the selected music match the tone of the video. I did spent a lot of time on editing it in order to ensure a high quality, which was a bit frustrating for me. However, due to the one-minute time requirement, I have no other choices, but to make each picture go a little bit too fast. It might be the key drawback of this video. In the middle of this video, I originally wanted to use the image of some real people, but, as it is concerned with ethical issues, I decided to use some cartoon images in this section to try to avoid the ethical issue. I was personally satisfied with this solution. Also, I initially intended to use all the pictures taken by myself or owned by myself, however, I found it really hard to make all my pictures fit this video. Therefore, many pictures I selected for the video were from google images. By doing that, I provided with the recourses in the end of this video. In a word, I personally like this video, which not only conveys the culture of my hometown but demonstrates my nostalgic feelings.

No comments: