Sunday, October 3, 2010

Reading Response 2-Balancing the Utilization and Seduction for Design with Technology

I bought an expensive juicer, but I am not permitted to use it for making juice! …Unlike the juicer, which is primarily an object for display, not for use, the knife is beautiful to look at and a joy to use. It is well balanced, it feels good to the hand, and it is sharper than any other knife I have ever owned. “”
                                                                                                          ---Norman (P115)
“I wish I had longer arms, I wish I were stronger, I wish I were more dexterous… We don’t realize that our apparent shortcomings aren’t necessarily signs of human frailty…”
                                                                                                          ------ Vicente (P66)

Comparing the contents of Vicente’ chapter 3 and Norman’s chapter 4, in my understanding, I personally think that Vicente’s opinions mainly from objective perspectives, he calls for fitting the design to the body, with the examples of Toilet-paper, Aviation safety, mechanical lathe, the reach toothbrush, etc., putting more emphasis on the utilization. While, Norman’s mainly from subjective perspectives, contributing the examples of tea strainer, juicer, music and games, giving the designers a gentle reminder of designing objects for fun and pleasure.

Utilization or seduction? I choose both, not “or” but “and”. It would be perfect if utilization and seduction could be combined very well, as the good example of the knife owned by Norman. Satisfying people’s true needs, including the emotion needs. In the highly-developed material civilization world, human beings demand everything not just satisfying our basic needs but more than that. With technology, what you can do is only limited by your imagination.

No one could resist the temptation of the seductive and attractive things. That’s why we have tons of options beyond basic needs when making decisions to buy an item, ranging from earrings, clothes, and purses to vases, cabinets, and cars. Actually, I am not that kind of person who wastes money on expensive or luxurious things, but I indeed spent a lot of money buying items for display and pleasure but not for using. My husband usually teases me, “Honey, you are no longer a kid, why do you still like those fluffy toys and useless gadgets, filling every corner of the rooms with them?” Yes, I do love them although I am adult. I love all beautiful and elegant things. It’s a girl’s instinctive responses. Attractive things usually make people feel good, which in turn makes them think more creatively and work better (Norman, 2005). As such, no one will surprise why I love those trifles.  In this case, could I attribute “display” to one form of utilization?

Here is one interesting link I found about “Stories about Designers and some thoughts” ,
http://www.designandfun.com/stories.htm
I was intrigued by it. Hope you have fun from it!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In your reflection " It would be perfect if utilization and seduction could be combined" the use of the word seduction is so true. We are continually seduced by objects around us. It pulls at the basics of who we are as humans.

Mac computers has obviously figured this our and have created a need or a lusting for their goods.

Your have provide a very insightful link thank you.

GirlProf said...

You have woven together key ideas from Norman and choices you make in designing your own environment; this is helpful for illustrating the meaning of the text to you.

I followed the "design and fun" link that you described as intriguing: http://www.designandfun.com/stories.htm.
It would be interesting if you shared a few specific examples from this site that you found intriguing.