Saturday, October 16, 2010

Reading Response3---Optimizing the User Experience






“Web sites should be designed to facilitate and encourage efficient and effective human-computer interactions.”
      -----Research-Based Web Design & Usability Guidelines Chapter 2
When recalling my first days accessing to the internet about 10 years ago, I have never imagined that internet would become one important part in my life as what it is currently like. 

I am not a net-worm at all, but, I have to admit that, the interactions with PC and the internet seem to be my every day’s task, even only 10 minutes per day for emails, or ramble browse. Therefore, I am inclined to comment on various website unconsciously, sometimes positively, sometimes critically.

I totally agree with the author, “Web sites should be designed to facilitate and encourage efficient and effective human-computer interactions”. This kind of philosophy not only fits for the websites design, but for all designs.
I still remember the frustration when I developed my first Blog three years ago, I spend a whole bunch of time on trying to figure out how to add a gadget, how to upload a video, how to format the order of the pages, etc.  Although there were indeed some help or hints out there, I still needed time to make sense of them. Yeah, it sounds so easy today, however, for the beginning user of that website, I complained a lot about the usability, why it was designed like that?

Even today, more or less, when personalizing or creating something new on the web, you might notice that you still spend much time on technology issues on a certain website. It is so tricky that you might wish what if it’s easier than that. Anyways, we can see the efforts on the improvement for the website design. Not perfect, but much better than before. It pushes me to consider that how could I apply this philosophy to my group project? Please wait and see. When the draft is completed in the couple of few days, your comments and advice are very welcome.

 

No comments: